Monday 19 July 2010

Day Six - Monday 19th

At last, Sun! I've missed it with all this rain and thunder and lightning and dreariness. But I still managed to take in my mount everest tent of a coat because the stupid weather forecast said it would rain. Sod's law really. And it was in this lovely sun that we went to visit the Yorkshire Art Space. We looked at some interesting ceramics by Emilie Taylor which were these pots with drawings and patterns on them and had messages, like one which was called Suburbia that had a drawing of semi-detached houses and stags in front of them. She later explained this was about how suburban people are always so precious and stuck up about their houses and treat them as if they were stately homes. I quite liked her work because they had messages and yet were nice to look at. Sometimes, although it gets a statement across, I think some people who do this kind of thing do it a bit bluntly, but in this case it was quite subtle and I liked that. We also got taken around the studios by Rachel Dodd who gave us a debrief about this line of work as well, and we had a little look in on a silversmith called Charlotte. As well as all this Emily Foster who is at Sheffield Hallam showed us some us her photographs.


What a revelation I had at lunch today though. I mean, who knew Boots did food and meal deals? Apparently a lot of people according to Bethan, but not me. So that was basically my lunchtime, trying not to look too bemused and shocked.


Later on I helped Bethan and Bryony in their projects as they had so kindly helped me in mine, which is the thing with the map of the city. I'm trying to get more of my friends to take pictures of their favourite places, but at the weekend not many of them had any time (or in other words couldn't be bothered which I can understand at the weekend). Some of them have said that although they haven't this weekend, they could help me tonight, tuesday or wednesday, so hopefully I will have more in the next couple of days.

When we were helping Bethan, well, let's just say, we got a lot of funny looks. She is doing this motionless society thing with apparently dead or asleep people lying around random places in town, and I had to pose in a few of them. Today was down at the station again and it was fairly busy, with people coming and going about their business, the few occasional loiterers and waiters, or those with a bit of time and a cup of coffee in their hands. One of the first we did was on a bench type thing outside where their was one such previously described individual, sitting their with his drink. Poor Bryony, she had to go up to this bench, stretch out on it, and pretend she was dead, like a glorified game of dead fishes. As she was lying there and we were taking pictures on a blindingly noticable tripod, this man turns around and says to her "tired?". Or later, when I had to pose, there was another conveniently placed bench with a man on the left, smoking a cigarette, a woman on the right reading a magazine and an ominous space in the middle. You can guess where I had to play dead. It wasn't like they didn't notice or anything, they did, but when I resurrected myself, they immediately turned away and went back to smoking and reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment