Wednesday 14 July 2010

Day one - Monday 12th

Today was the first day of work experience at Site Gallery, and I'm still trying to get my head round it all. Maybe macs just confuse me I guess (I don't think technology likes me!) but I am glad that we've done so much. I feel quite pleased as it seems I'm probably doing something much more interesting than some of my friends. Like one, for instance, she's working at a doctors surgery, which may well be very interesting, but when we met up at lunch, I seemed to get the impression that copying addresses wasn't something she found particularly fun.


Looking back on the day, I think I have learnt more than I expected on the first day, but that's good as I think it will make the next two weeks easier, (like with macs - fingers crossed). However at the start of the day I wasn't nearly as calm as I am now - or maybe I'm just sleepy, which may be because I didn't sleep much as I was really nervous about today. I arrived relatively on time to the bus stop, and luckily it had just stopped. So I jumped on and found a seat , and then suddenly I remembered that the bus had to take a big diversion because of annoyingly closed roads. Oops. I was going to be late. And I was, but I might have just made it in time, if it wasn't for the fact that I went in the complete opposite direction. There I was, frantically asking people at the interchange where Brown Street was, but no one seemed to know, only telling me how to get to the lIbrary, the train station and other places I knew the the whereabouts of. I was getting seriously stressed when luckily, I finally found it thanks to a student, but I was ruffly 25 minutes late. Outside the door I braced myself, took a deep breath and timidly pressed the buzzer, expecting a torrent of angry shouting and questions about what time it was. In my head I thought of a hundred excuses, (ranging from being mugged to having a family back home with smallpox - very believable I know) but when the door was opened, I was relieved to find that they were more worried about the fact that I might be lost somewhere in the city than the time it took for me to get there. 


Anyway, so the day wore on, and I realised that as well as having to catch an earlier bus the next day, that I didn't really need to panic as much as I did previously. We learnt a lot like; how to use macs (even if they seem to have some sort of grudge against you), interviewing and editing the recorded result, and Lesley Guy came in and told us more about what contemporary art really is. I think I will like it more here compared to how I would have at the infant school I might have gone to instead, especially as I have recently found out that my other friend who is at a primary school is spending her time in the company of a load of 7 year olds who scream, hug her violently and watch her every move. I felt very smug after she told me that and, as I said to her, I think all in all, I would have to say I enjoyed the day:)

No comments:

Post a Comment