Tuesday 27 July 2010

Day Eight - Wednesday 21st

We got kicked out today. That sounds really bad doesn't it, but the people at Site just needed to use the room is all, so we all had a nice, wait for it - SUNNY! - day out! I know English people always obsess about the weather but it really was quite miraculous.

First off we started in town and all split up and went to find pictures that would fit the caption "Hidden Sheffield", which was fun until Bethan and I got harassed by some plasterer selling joke books and the God Lady. Then I ran out of ideas and started taking pictures of pigeons, and especially this really fat one which was sleeping. I don't think I'll win the cinema tickets - which will be the prize - not even with a lovely snap of a cardboard cut out of Peter Jones from Dragons Den.

Anyway, after this we all met up in the Peace Gardens, where Bethan took a couple more of her motionless pictures. Then we were told about where we were going next which was Bank Street Art Gallery. This is where I would meet Susanna Gent, the artist / taxidermist who I interviewed. When we got there, we were given a general tour of the place. It kind of reminded me of this book I read in which there is a library which seems to go on forever, it turns this way, then that and before you know it, you're lost. It had all different levels and corridors and this little courtyard thing in the middle, and all in all I would like to live there. Ok, that sounds a bit weird, but I just really liked how different it was from other galleries.

We looked around Susanna Gent's work, in which I particularly liked her 12 Stag heads which are like the ones you might find mounted on the walls of a hunting lodge. However, these ones were different, different from a hunting lodge and different from each other. They were all made of different materials and each had different designs, and I really liked how original they were. My favourite would probably be the one made out of shells, because, not only did it look painstakingly hard to make and was very pretty, but also because I think it was something quite personal for her. A close second, though, would have to be one that was made out of pink rubber gloves pinned together to form the skin, plug holes for the eyes, and taps for the antlers.

Another person we met was Bryan Eccleshall who was working on an installation for the gallery, where he took the favourite postcards from Graves art Gallery and made line drawings onto some walls of them in the size the actual picture that the postcard was of was. I quite liked this because it was fairly original, despite the source not being.

My interview with Susanna went fairly well I thought, although on one question I kinda screwed up. I thought she taught Fine Art, but she actually teaches Media, whoops. She was quite nice about it though and answered all the questions in detail. I have posted the interview in my Arts Award Part C.

After this, Susanna and I went to Riverside. Well, she did, but I got lost. Poor Susanna probably thought I had abandoned her, but if its one thing I'm very, very good at, it's the whole getting lost business. Deary me. I ended up going back to Bank Street and painting some walls with Josh and someone called Michael I think. And yes, I managed to get paint on me as well as the walls, what can I say, I'm a girl of many talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment